A sus 4 guitar chords
A - D - E
Asus4 chords consist of the 1st, 4th and 5 notes of the diatonic root scale of A Major. The 3rd is omitted giving the chord an openness and in most cases, a need for resolution - generally back to the A chord.
- A Major Scale: A - B - C# - D - E - F# - G#
- Chord: A suspended fourth - Asus4 (Asus)
- Formula: 1 - 4 - 5
- Notes: A - D - E
Asus4 Chords - RH/LH
Spelling: 1st(A), 4th (D), 5th(E)
Open chord shape: Asus4
TAB e |-0-| B |-3-| G |-2-| D |-2-| A |-0-| E |---|
Open chord shape:
TAB e |-5-| B |-5-| G |-7-| D |-7-| A |-5-| E |-5-|
Open chord shape:
TAB e |-10-| B |-10-| G |-9--| D |-7--| A |-0--| E |----|
- In the 3rd position, the chord is written x079-10-10. We separate any fret greater than 9 with a hyphen so as not to create confusion with double-digits, otherwise the chord above would be written x0791010... too confusing.
- sus4 chords are often used in all types of music. Whenever you play a major chord you always tend to add a sus4 and then back to the major chord, e.g., A - Asus4 - A, or D - Dsus4 - D etc. This tends to happen naturally when playing certain chords. The major chord to the sus4 creates a bit of tension, with a return to the major for resolution... works well.
- sus4 chords can also be written as sus chords. We use sus4 as there is no confusion with sus2 chords.
- Standard keys using the A sus 4 chord: A Major, D Major, F#m, and Bm. Each of the minor keys is the relative minor of the major keys, i.e., A/F#m, D/Bm. If you are playing songs in any of these keys, you may come across an Asus4 chord... generally played next to the A major or A7 chord.
Practice: If you want to practice playing a song with Asus4 chords, you may like to try any of the following:
- A Thousand Years - Christina Perri
- And The Band Played Waltzing Matilda - Liam Clancy
- Black Velvet - Alannah Myles
- Cotton Fields - Creedence Clearwater Revival
- Danny Boy - Eric Clapton
- Ding Dong Merrily On High - Celtic Woman
- Dust In The Wind - Kansas
- I Won't Give Up - Jason Mraz
- Grace - Jim McCann
- Happy Xmas War Is Over - John Lennon
- Jesse - Janis Ian
- Mary Did You Know - Clay Aiken
- Avalon - Roxy Music
- The Minstrel Boy - John McDermott
- What's Up - 4 Non Blondes
- White Christmas - Taylor Swift (Bing Crosby)
- Wide Awake - Katy Perry