Am6 Guitar Chords
A6 guitar chords consist of the 1st, b3rd, 5th and 6th notes of the diatonic root scale of A Major.
- A Major Scale: A - B - C# - D - E - F# - G#
- Chord: A Minor sixth - written as Am6
- Formula: 1 - ♭3 - 5 - 6
- Notes: A - C - E - F#
Am6 - A minor sixth (1-b3-5-6)
Spelling: 1st(A), b3rd(C), 5th(E), 6th(F#)
Chart LegendNumbered Circles: number inside circle indicates which finger to use
X: Don't play string
White Numbered Circles: Optional Notes
X on string with optional note: if you omit the note, don't play string
Unmarked strings: Play open
Barre Line: One finger holds down multiple strings
R: Root Note
TAB: Numbers represent frets - not finger positions
Blank Strings: Do not Play
0: play string open
TAB e |-2-| B |-1-| G |-2-| D |-2-| A |-0-| E |---|
TAB e |-5-| B |-7-| G |-5-| D |-7-| A |-7-| E |-5-|
3rd🡇 Am6 Guitar Chords
TAB e |-0--| B |-10-| G |-11-| D |-10-| A |-0--| E |----|
- The 3rd position chord - very nice!
- A minor 6 chords are more commonly found in jazz and alternate styles more often than mainstream music.
- Standard keys using the Am6 chord: G major/E minor.
Em is the relative minor of G major which means both scales share the same notes. There are many other keys that could use this chord, but we concentrate on the 'standard' key progressions which means in this example, chords that utilize notes belonging to the G Major Scale (G-A-B-C-D-E-F#) ... Am6 meets the criterion (A - C - E - F#).
Practice: If you want to practice playing a song with Am6 chords, you may like to try any of the following:
- Moon River - Andy Williams
- My Way - Frank Sinatra
- New York New York - Frank Sinatra
- Over The Rainbow - Ella Fitzgerald