Over The Rainbow chords and lyrics
by Ella Fitzgerald
- Over The Rainbow is a ballad composed by Harold Arlen with lyrics by E.Y. Harburg. The song was written in 1938 and published in 1939 for the movie, The Wizard of Oz - sung by actress, Judy Garland.
- Versions: Many covers of the song have been recorded since the original version, with Israel "IZ" Kamakawiwoʻole and Eva Cassidy perhaps the most notable.
- Ella Fitzgerald released the song in 1961 from the album, Ella Fitzgerald Sings The Harold Arlen Song Book.
- The version by Ella includes the entire song. Most versions start at the chorus and omit the first 2 verses. We have kept the chords on the beat as much as possible, as this type of song lends itself to a great deal of expressive freedom.
- Original Published Key: Eb Major in 4/4 time - played freely
- Ella Fitzgerald: Ab major
- Easier: G Major. If you are playing with the video, you will need to place a capo on the first fret.
- Chords in G major: G, G6, G7, Gmaj7, Gm, Gdim7, G#dim7, A7, Am, Am6, Am7, Bm, Bm7, C, C/G, C7, Cmaj7, C6, Cm6, D7, Daug, Em, Em/G, Edim7.
Over The Rainbow by Ella Fitzgerald
Capo on 1st fret if playing with video
Intro: 4/4 | G | C/G | Em/G | D7 | G C 1. When all the world is a hope-less jumble, Gmaj7 Am7 - D7 And the rain-drops tumble all a-round, G G#dim7 Am7 Adim7 G | Am7 - D7 | Hea - ven o - pens a mag - ic lane. G C 2. When all the clouds dark-en up the sky-way, Gmaj7 F#m7 - B7 There's a rain - bow high-way to be found, Em C7 A7 Am7 Lead-ing from your win-dow pane. G Am7 To a place be-hind the sun, G Gdim7 Am7 | D7 | Just a step be-yond the rai - ain. G Bm G Chorus: Some-where o-ver the rain-bow | C / Cmaj7 C7 | Bm7 G Bm7 G#dim7 | Way up high, C6 Cm6 G G#dim7 There's a land that I heard of, A7 Am D7 | G / Am7 D7 | Once in a lul - la - bye. G Bm G Some-where o-ver the rain-bow, | C / Cmaj7 C7 | Bm7 G Bm7 G#dim7 | Skies are blue, C6 Cm6 G G#dim7 A7 And the dreams that you dare to dream, Am D7 G Real-ly do come true. G Bridge: Some-day day I'll wish upon a star, Am7 D7 G6 | D C G D7| And wake up where the clouds are far be-hind me. (Where) G Where troub-les melt like le-mon drops, Edim7 A - way a-bove the chim-ney tops, | Am6 / Gm Edim7 | Am7 Daug That's where you'll find me. G Bm G7 Chorus: Some-where o-ver the rain-bow, | C / Cmaj7 C7 | Bm7 G Bm7 G#dim7 | Blue birds fly, C6 Cm6 G G#dim7 Birds fly o-ver the rain-bow, A7 Am D7 | G D7 | Why then, oh why can't I? Instr: Repeat Chorus G Bridge: Some-day day I'll wish upon a star, Am7 D7 G6 | D C G D7 | And wake up where the clouds are far be-hind me. (Where) D7 G Where troub-les melt like le-mon drops, Edim7 A - way a-bove the chim-ney tops, | Am6 / Gm Edim7 | Am7 Daug That's where you'll find me. G Bm G7 Chorus: Some-where o-ver the rain-bow, | C / Cmaj7 C7 | Bm7 G Bm7 G#dim7 | Blue birds fly, C6 Cm6 G G#dim7 Birds fly o-ver the rain-bow, A7 Am D7 G Why, then oh why can't I? G Bridge: If hap-py lit-tle blue-birds fly Am7 Be-yond the rain-bow D7 G6 Why oh why can't I...
🗝️ G Major
Numbered Circles: Chord fingering - number inside circle indicates which finger to use
White Numbered Circles: Optional Notes
Unmarked strings: Play open
X: Don't play string
Barre Line: One finger holds down multiple strings
R: Root Note
B: Bass Note
Right Handed Charts:
Left Handed Charts:
Born: Ella Janet Fitzgerald on 25th April, 1917 in Newport News, Virginia, U.S.
Died: 15th June, 1996 in Beverly Hills, California, U.S. (aged 79)
Profession: Musician, actress
Music Styles: Swing, bebop, traditional, pop, vocal jazz, blues
Active Years: 1934-1993
📖 Over The Rainbow Sheet Music at MusicNotes.Com - Piano/Vocal/Chords - Eb Major - 4 pages - Judy Garland.