If We Only Had Old Ireland Over Here chords & lyrics
by Foster & Allen
- The author of the song - If We Only Had Old Ireland Over Here is unknown.
- This version by Foster & Allen is featured on their album Foster & Allen's Ireland.
- Music: G Major with a key change to A♭ Major after the 1st chorus in 6/8 time at 168 bpm (♪)
- Chords: G, D, D7, C, A, Em → (key change) → A♭, E♭, E♭7, D♭, B♭, Fm... charts below
If We Only Had Old Ireland Over Here by Foster & Allen
Intro: 6/8 | G | D | G - C | G | G C G 1. I was dream-ing of old Ire-land___ And Kill-ar-neys lakes and dells C G A D7 I was dream-ing of the sham-rock___ And the dear old Shand-on Bells G C G When my mem-o-ries sug-ges-ted___ In a vis-ion bright and clear C G D G All the strange things that would hap-pen___ If we had old Ire-land here G C G Chorus: If the Blar-ney stone stood out in Syd-ney Har-bour C G And Dub-lin Town to Mel-bourne came to stay C G If the Shan-non Riv-er joined the Bris-bane Wat-ers A D | D7 | And Kill-ar-ney’s lakes flowed in-to Bot-a-ny Bay G C G If the Shand-on Bells rang out in old Fre-man-tle C G And Coun-ty Cork in Ad-e-laide did ap-pear Em G Erin's sons would nev-er roam___ All the boys would stay at home D G | Eb | If we on-ly had old Ire-land o-ver here____ (key change) Ab Db Ab 2. There are lots of lov’-ly las-sies___ Dan-cin' on the vil-lage green Db Ab Bb Eb7 There are lots of lovely col-leens___ The fin-est ev-er seen Ab Db Ab Where the boys are all called Pad-dy___ And the girls called Mol-ly Dear Db Ab Eb Ab Sure we'd wrap the green flag round them___ If we had old Ire-land here Ab Db Ab Chorus: If the Blar-ney stone stood out in Syd-ney Har-bour Db Ab And Dub-lin Town to Mel-bourne came to stay Db Ab If the Shan-non Riv-er joined the Bris-bane Wat-ers Bb Eb | Eb7 | And Kill-ar-ney’s lakes flowed in-to Bot-a-ny Bay Ab Db Ab If the Shand-on Bells rang out in old Fre-man-tle Db Ab And Coun-ty Cork in Ad-e-laide did ap-pear Fm Ab Erin's sons would nev-er roam___ All the boys would stay at home Eb Ab | Ab | If we on-ly had old Ire-land o-ver here Outro: | Ab | Eb | Ab - Db | Ab |
- Free Music Transposition Simply highlight & copy the entire song chart above - then click on the link... more
- Key, note & chord transposition chart
- If We Only Had Old Ireland Over Here chords and lyrics
G Major → Ab Major
Numbered Circles: Chord fingering - number inside circle indicates which finger to use
Unmarked strings: Play open
X: Don't play string
Barre Line: One finger holds down multiple strings
R: Root Note
Right Handed Charts:
Left Handed Charts:
- Level Of Ease: Starts easy and then becomes more difficult after the key change. You will need to know barre chords here, namely A♭, D♭, E♭, E♭7, and Fm.
- This version of the song is in the key of G major with a key change to A♭ Major
- The time signature is 6/8 time. This means 6 eighth-note/quaver beats per bar, therefore the count is | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | etc.
- When you see a bar with 2 chords separated by a hyphen, the timing count of the bar is split in half, e.g., | G - C | means you play the G chord for 3 counts and the C chord for 3 counts.
- Further help with reading song charts
- An easier version of the song would be to play the song in E Major with a key change to F Major. You would still need to play some barre chords, but they would be easier. Here is the transposition:
|Capo: 3rd fret||E||A||F#||B||B7||C#m||F||B♭||G||C||C7||Dm|
- If you don't play along with the video, you can simply play a very easy version by retaining all the chords before the key change, namely G, C, A, D, D7 and Em.
Foster & Allen
Duo: Mick Foster & Tony Allen
Active Years: 1975 – present
Music Styles: Traditional Irish, folk, country
Official Website: fosterandallen.ie