Gentle On My Mind chords
by The Band Perry
- Gentle On My Mind was written by John Hartford and first recorded by Glen Campbell on May 17, 1967. It was released on the 19th June, 1967 from the album of the same name.
- The Band Perry version of the song was recorded in 2014 for the soundtrack of the Glen Campbell documentary Glen Campbell: I'll Be Me. The band won a Grammy Award for Best Country Duo/Group Performance in 2015.
- Music: C Major in 2/2 time at a moderately bright tempo - 107 bpm
- Chords: C, Cmaj7, C6, Dm, Dm6, Dm7, G7, F, Bdim7
- Please Note: If you are playing with the video you will need a capo on the 1st fret as the song key is C# with a few tricky chords.
Gentle On My Mind by The Band Perry
Capo on 1 if playing with the video
Intro: 2/2 | C | Cmaj7 | C6 | Cmaj7 | (It's) C Cmaj7 C6 1. It's know-ing that your door is al-ways o-pen Cmaj7 Dm And your path is free to walk Dm7 That makes me tend to leave my sleep-ing bag G7 C Rolled up and stashed be-hind your couch C Cmaj7 C6 Cmaj7 2. And it's know-ing I'm not shackled by for-got-ten words and bonds C Dm And the ink stains that have dried up on some line Dm7 Dm6 Dm7 That keeps you in the back roads by the ri-vers of my mem-'ry Dm G7 C That keeps you ever gen-tle on my mind C Cmaj7 C6 3. It's not cling-ing to the rocks and ivy plan-ted Cmaj7 Dm On their co-lumns now that binds me Or some-thing that some-bo-dy said Dm7 G7 C Be-cause they thought we fit to-ge-ther walk-ing C Cmaj7 C6 Cmaj7 4. It's just know-ing that the world will not be curs-ing or for-giv-ing C Dm When I walk a-long some rail-road track and find Dm7 Dm6 Dm7 That you're mov-ing on the back road by the ri-vers of my mem-'ry Dm G7 C And for hours you're just gen-tle on my mind C Cmaj7 5. Though the wheat fields and the clothes lines C6 Cmaj7 Dm And the junk-yards and the high-ways come be-tween us Dm7 And some other wo-man's cry-in' to her mo-ther G7 C 'Cause she turned and I was gone C Cmaj7 C6 Cmaj7 6. I still might run in silence tears of joy might stain my face C Dm And the sum-mer sun might burn me 'til I'm blind Dm7 Dm6 Dm7 But not to where I can-not see you walk-in' on the back-roads Dm G7 C By the ri-vers flow-ing gen-tle on my mind C Cmaj7 C6 7. Well I dip my cup of soup back from the gurgl-ing crackl-ing Cmaj7 Dm Cauld-ron in some train yard My beard a rust-ling coal pile Dm7 G7 C A dir-ty hat pulled low a-cross my face C Cmaj7 8. Through cupped hands 'round a tin can C6 Cmaj7 Dm I pre-tend I hold you to my breast and find Dm7 Dm6 Dm7 That you're wav-ing from the back roads by the ri-vers of my mem-'ry Dm G7 C E-ver smil-ing e-ver gen-tle on my mind C6 C Gen-tle on my mind C6 C Gen-tle on my mind 𝄐 F | Bdim7 | C | | C | Ooh ... Ooh... Ooh ... yeah...
🗝️ C Major
Numbered Circles: Chord fingering - number inside circle indicates which finger to use
Unmarked strings: Play open
X: Don't play string
Barre Line: One finger holds down multiple strings
R: Root Note
Right Handed Charts:
Left Handed Charts: