Black Is The Colour chords & lyrics
by Christy Moore
- Black Is The Colour has been recorded by many artists and one of the most popular versions is by Irish folk-singer, Christy Moore featured on the album, Live At The Point.
- Music: Key of B♭minor in 4/4 time at 122 bpm (♩)
- Chords: B♭m, B♭sus2, G♭, A♭, F7
- Easier - Capo on 1st fret: play in the key of Am
- Chords with Capo: Am, Asus2, F, G, E7
Black Is The Colour by Christy Moore
Capo on the 1st fret if playing with the video
Am F G | Am - Asus2 | 1. Black is the co-lour____ Of my true love's hair Am F G E Her lips are like____ Some ro-ses fair E7 F G E She has the sweet-est smile____ And the gent-lest hands, E7 F G | Am - Asus2 | And I love the ground____ Where-on she stands Am F G | Am - Asus2 | 2. I love my love____ And well she knows Am F G E I love the ground____ Where-on she goes E7 F G E I wish the day____ It soon would come E7 F G | Am - Asus2 | When she and I____ could be as one Am F G | Am - Asus2 | 3. I go to the Clyde____ And I mourn and weep Am F G E Sat-is-fied____ I ne-ver can be E7 F G E I write her a let-ter____ Just a few short lines E7 F G | Am - Asus2 | And suf-fer death____ A thou-sand times Am F G | Am - Asus2 | 4. Black is the co-lour____ Of my true love's hair Am F G E Her lips are like____ Some ro-ses fair E7 F G E She has the sweet-est smile____ And the gent-lest hands E7 F G | Am - Asus2 | And I love the ground____ Where-on she stands
Numbered Circles: Chord fingering - number inside circle indicates which finger to use
White Numbered Circles: Optional Notes
Unmarked strings: Play open
X: Don't play string
Barre Line: One finger holds down multiple strings
R: Root Note
Right Handed Charts:
Left Handed Charts:
- Level Of Ease: Easy with a capo
- Key Signature: B♭minor - 5 flats (B♭, E♭, A♭, D♭, G♭)
- Capo on the 1st fret and play in the key of Am (no sharps or flats... much easier to play).
- 4/4 time: This means 4 quarter-note/crotchet beats per bar, therefore the count is
| 1 2 3 4|, or | 1& 2& 3& 4& |etc.
- Tempo: approximately 122 bpm - the click track will sound on every beat of each bar If you want the beat to sound on the every 2nd beat of each bar, set the metronome to approx 60 bpm.
- The hyphen between 2 chords means you split the beat-count of the bar evenly between the 2 chords, e.g., | Am - Asus2| with a time signature of 4/4, you play the Am chord for 2 beats, and the Asus 2 for 2 beats.
- The Asus2 chord adds a nice touch. You don't have to play it, but it does enhance the overall sound. It's a very easy chord to play... you just take your first finger off the Am chord.
- The chord formula for a sus2 chord is 1 - 2 - 5... Asus2 = A - B - E (x02200)
- On the second and third lines of each verse there is an added 2/4 bar (2 beats) of F major before the G chord... you will notice this when you play along with the video. There is a tendency to want to play the G chord earlier, but if you count each bar and listen to Christy, you will notice there is an extra 2 beats added to the F chord - 6 beats in total OR 1 bar + 1/2 bar OR 4/4 bar + 2/4 bar... I hope this is not too confusing. Just follow the chord changes on the chart as they are placed exactly where each chord change occurs.
- Christy plays the G chord exactly the same as the F chord (open position) except 2 frets up... F + 2 semitones (frets) = G. You don't have to play it like this, but you should give it a go as it gives you an extra option to add to your repertoire... xx5433.
Born: Christopher Andrew Moore on the 7th May 1945 in Newbridge, County Kildare, Ireland.
Carreer: Singer, songwriter, musician
Instruments: Vocals, guitar, bodhrán
Active Years: 1969 – present
Music Styles: Folk, Traditional Irish, Pop
Associations: Planxty, Moving Hearts, The Dubliners
Official Website: christymoore.com