Words: Haven Gillespie Music: J. Fred Coots
Original Key: C Major
First Recording: Harry Reser (banjoist) and band on Oct 24th, 1934. Tom Stacks featured on vocals.
First Performance: November 1934 on Eddie Cantor's radio show. It became an instant hit with over 400,000 copies of sheet music sold by Christmas... more
Performance: Countdown Kids
Key Signature: B♭ Major (2 flats - B♭, E♭)
Time Signature: 4/4 Tempo: 84 bpm ()
Capo on 1st fret: Play in A MajorChords w/capo: A, A7, D, Dm, F#m, Bm, B7, E, E7
||x24432 / 224432||x00231|
|244222||x00232||x21202 / 221202||020100 / 020130||022100|
Chords & LyricsCapo 1st fret
- The song is in the key of B♭ Major which requires a few barre chords. To make the song easy for everyone, we will be using a capo on the 1st fret and play in the key of A Major.
- There are a few barre chords here, but they are easy ones. Beginners may find this a little testing, but stick with it ... it's well-worth the effort.
- The fermata or pause symbol, means you hold the note for a duration which is determined by the performer. On the last bar of the Intro you strum the chord and hold it for the duration of the bar. At the end of the song, you strum the chord and hold it... let it ring out.
- The time signature is 4/4 time which means 4 quarter-note/crotchet beats per bar.
- The tempo is set at 84 bpm in minim/half-note time ... beat sounds on every 2nd crotchet/quarter-note if you are using a metronome or click track. You can set the metronome at 168 bpm to play on every beat, but it sounds a little busy... the choice is yours.
- Help with music symbols and other definitions can be found on the musical terms page.
- Help with reading song charts on this site.
Transposition if you want to play in the key of B♭ Major: also included the original published key of C Major
|Capo: Fret 1 - A Major (Chart)||A||A7||D||Dm||F#m||Bm||B7||E||E7|
|Performance: Key B♭ Major||B♭||B♭7||E♭||E♭m||Gm||Cm||C7||F||F7|
|Original Published Key - C Major||C||C7||F||Fm||Am||Dm||D7||G||G7|