O Holy Night chords & lyrics
by Celtic Woman
- O Holy Night Composer: Adolphe Charles Adam
- Lyrics: Johnn Sullivan Dwight
- Featured Artists: Celtic Woman from the album A Christmas Celebration
- Music: Key of C Major in 12/8 time at ~ 56 bpm (♩)
- Song Chords: C, C7, F, G, G7, Em, B7, Am, Dm
O Holy Night by Celtic Woman
Intro: 12/8 || C / / F | C / / F || C F C 1. O Ho-ly night___ The stars are bright-ly shin-ing G C It is the night of our dear Sav-iour's birth F C C7 Long lay the world___ In sin and error pin-ing Em B7 Em Till He ap-peared and the Soul felt its worth G7 C A thrill of hope___ The wear-y world re-joi-ces G7 C For yon-der breaks___ A new and glor-i-ous morn Am Em Dm Am Fall on your knees___ Oh hear the an-gel voic-es C G7 C F C G7 C O ni - ight di-vine___ O night___ When Christ was born G7 C F C G7 (C) O night___ Di-vine___ O night___ O night di-vine Instr: || C F G / | C / G7 / | C F G / | C / G7 / || (vine) C F C C7 2. Chains shall He break___ For the slave is our broth-er Em B7 Em And in His name all op-pres-sion shall cease G7 C Sweet hymns of joy___ In grate-ful chor-us raise we G7 C Let all with-in us praise His Ho-ly name Am Em Dm Am Christ is the Lord and ev-er ev-er praise we C G7 C F C G7 C No - e - el ___ No-el___ O night___ O night di-vine G7 C F C G7 C No - el ___ No - el___ O night___ O night di-vine G7 C... F C Dm C G7 (C) No - el___ No - el – el - el___ O night___ O night di-vine Outro: | C / / F | C / / F | C | (vine)
- Free Music Transposition Simply highlight & copy the entire song chart above - then click on the link... more
- Key, note & chord transposition chart
- Christmas Carols Page - Easier Version in C Major
- ⏬ O Holy Night chords and lyrics
- 𝐖 Celtic Woman
- A Christmas Celebration
- 📖 MusicaNeo.Com - Voice/Piano/Guitar & Various Scores
🗝️ C Major
Numbered Circles: Chord fingering - number inside circle indicates which finger to use
Unmarked strings: Play open
X: Don't play string
Barre Line: One finger holds down multiple strings
R: Root Note
Right Handed Charts:
Left Handed Charts:
- Level Of Ease: Easy - ideal for beginners. All chords are easy to play with F and B7 needing a little more attention... you'll enjoy this one.
- 12/8 Time: 12 eighth-note/quaver beats per bar
- Tempo: approx 56 bpm (♩.) This means that each beat is counted as a dotted quarter-note/crotchet which is equivalent to 3 eighth/quaver notes for each beat. If we set the tempo for every eighth-note/quaver, it would be racing along at 168 bpm's (3x56) which would be extremely off-putting and not in keeping with the style of song.
- The 2 bar intro becomes easier if you count the tempo as above, with one count for every 3 quavers. The 12/8 count is actually | 1&& 2&& 3&& 4&& | You can simply count it as | 1 2 3 4 | keeping in mind each beat is equal to 3 eighth-notes/quavers.
- If you are finger-picking, listen carefully to the harp especially in the intro and at the end of the song. You will hear the picking on every eighth-note/quaver beat... follow this closely and do the same if you are finger-picking. In the Intro, count every eighth-note/quaver as 1 pick, so it would look and play like this |CCC CCC CCC FFF | CCC CCC CCC FFF | - The same 2 bars are played at the end of the song.
- The simile mark / means you repeat the previous chord or note in the bar, therefore | C / / F | means 3 beats on C major and 1 beat on F major.
- You will notice timing changes especially towards the end of the song. If you are playing alone, it can be a little off-putting, but stick with it. These are the sorts of things that add to your ability as a musician and help you to broaden your horizons, not only in your playing style, but also in your musical appreciation.
- This is an excellent arrangement. Notice how the orchestra and choir create an intense 'feel' and mood... along with the superb voices of Celtic Woman.