It Came Upon a Midnight Clear chords & lyrics
- Lyrics - It Came Upon a Midnight Clear: Edmund Hamilton Sears, 1849.
- Composer: Richard Storrs Willis - 1850 in the original published key of Bb Major.
- Performance: Kutless from the album This Is Christmas.
- Music: Key of G# Minor in 6/8 time at 152 bpm (♪)
- Easier: Key of E Minor (capo on 4 if playing with video)
- Chords in Em: Em, Em(addF#), Cmaj7, B7, D, G, Am
It Came Upon a Midnight Clear by Kutless
Capo on 4th fret if playing with video
Intro: 6/8 || Em | Em/addF# | Em | Em/addF# || Em Cmaj7 Em B7 1. It came up-on the mid-night clear___ That glor-i-ous song of old Em Cmaj7 Em D Em From an-gels bend-ing near the earth___ To touch their harps of gold B7 Em G Cmaj7 Am D Peace on the earth good-will to men___ From heav-ens all grac-ious King Em Cmaj7 Em D (Em) The world in sol-emn still-ness lay___ To hear the an-gels sing || Em | Em/addF# | Em | Em/addF# || Ah...Ah Ah... Ah...Ah Ah... Em Cmaj7 Em B7 2. Still through the clo-ven skies they come___ With peace-ful wings un-furled Em Cmaj7 Em D Em And still their heav-en-ly music floats___ O'er all the wear-y world B7 Em G Cmaj7 Am D A-bove its sad and low-ly plains___ They bend on hov-er-ing wing Em Cmaj7 Em D Em And ev-er o-ver its Ba-bel sounds___ The bles-sed an-gels sing Instr: | Em | Cmaj7 | Em | B7 | Em | Cmaj7 | Em - D | Em | | B7 | Em – G | Cmaj7 - Am | D | Em | Cmaj7 | Em – D | Em | % | % | Em Cmaj7 Em B7 3. O ye be-neath life's crush-ing load___ Whose forms are bend-ing low Em Cmaj7 Em D Em Who toil a-long the climb-ing way___ With pain-ful steps and slow B7 Em G Cmaj7 Am D Look now for glad and gold-en hours___ Come swift-ly on the wing Em Cmaj7 Em D (Em) Oh rest be-side the wear-y road___ And hear the an-gels sing ||: Em | Em/addF# | Em | Em/addF# :|| ... repeat and fade
🗝️ E Minor
Numbered Circles: Chord fingering - number inside circle indicates which finger to use
Unmarked strings: Play open
X: Don't play string
Barre Line: One finger holds down multiple strings
R: Root Note
Right Handed Charts:
Left Handed Charts:
- Level Of Ease: Easy - ideal for beginners (capo)
- Key Signature: This version of the song is a variation of the original tune, and is played in a minor key of G#m instead of B Major (relative major). Although it sounds slightly different, it adds a different dimension to the song, while still retaining its timeless tradition. It's interesting to note that 'Sixpense None The Richer' did a similar version in the key of Am.
- We have used a capo on the 4th fret and play in the key of Em. The Em(addF#) simply means you play an Em open chord and add your pinkie on string 4, fret 4 (F#)... see chart.
- Time Signature: 6/8 - This means there are 6 quaver/eighth-note beats per bar. You can count each bar as | 1 2 3 4 5 6 | or | 1& 2& 3& 4& 5& 6& |
- Tempo: 152 bpm - your metronome or click track will sound on every eighth-note/quaver.
📖 Sheet Music at MusicaNeo.Com - Various Scores