Deck The Halls chords & lyrics
by Julien Neel
- Deck The Halls: Traditional Welsh Melody dating back to the 16th century.
- Original Published Key: E♭ Major (3 flats - B♭ E♭ A♭)
- Performance: Julien Neel (Trudbol) from his album Christmas Time - Vol 2
- Music: Key of F Major in 4/4 time at 184 bpm (♩) or 92 bpm ()
- Easier - Capo on 3rd fret: play in D Major
- Chords with Capo: D, Bm, A, E , G
Deck The Halls by Julien Neel
Capo on 3rd fret if playing with video
Intro: 4/4 D Bm D A D A D 1. Deck the halls with boughs of hol-ly___ Fa la la la la___ La la la la D Bm D A D A D 'Tis the sea-son to be jol-ly___ Fa la la la la___ La la la la A D A D E A E A Don we now our gay ap-pa-rel___ Fa la la___ La la la___ La la la D Bm D G D A D Troll the an-cient Yule-tide car-ol___ Fa la la la la___ La la la la D Bm D A D A D 2. See the blaz-ing Yule be-fore us___ Fa la la la la___ La la la la D Bm D A D A D Strike the harp and join the chor-us___ Fa la la la la___ La la la la A D A D E A E A Fol-low me in mer-ry meas-ure___ Fa la la___ La la la___ La la la D Bm D G D A D While I tell of Yule-tide treas-ure___ Fa la la la la___ La la la la D Bm D A D A D 3. Fast a-way the old year pas-ses___ Fa la la la la___ La la la la D Bm D A D A D Hail the new ye lads and las-ses___ Fa la la la la___ La la la la A D A D E A E A Sing we joy-ous all to-ge-ther___ Fa la la___ La la la___ La la la D Bm D G D A D Heed-less of the wind and wea-ther___ Fa la la la la___ La la la la
🗝️ F Major
Numbered Circles: Chord fingering - number inside circle indicates which finger to use
Unmarked strings: Play open
X: Don't play string
Barre Line: One finger holds down multiple strings
R: Root Note
Right Handed Charts:
Left Handed Charts:
- This version is in the key of F Major which means you would have a B♭ chord in the mix. I have placed a capo on the 3rd fret and play in the key of D Major which may still require a barre chord depending how you play the Bm.
The Bm can be played as a barre chord like the chart above suggests or it can be played as an open chord - xx4432.
Beginners that haven't learned barre chords - pretend you are playing an Am chord on frets 3 and 4 using fingers 2,3, and 4, adding your first finger to string 1 - fret 2, and don't play the bottom 2 strings.
- The 'X' marked strings should be avoided otherwise the chord may sound pretty ordinary - the note or notes are not part of the chord structure.
- The performance is 'a capella' which means singing without musical accompaniment. Although there are no instruments, you can still play along very easily.