Red Is The Rose chords & lyrics
by Daniel O'Donnell
- Red Is The Rose is a traditional sonng... Irish variant of the Scottish song, The Bonnie Banks O' Loch Lomond.
- This version by Daniel O'Donnell is featured on the album Moon Over Ireland.
- Music: Key of E Major in 4/4 time at approx. 100 bpm (♩)
- Chords: E, A, G#m, B7, F#m, C#m... charts below
Red Is The Rose by Daniel O'Donnell
Intro: 4/4 | E | A - G#m | B7 | E | B7 | E C#m F#m A 1. Come o-ver the hills____ My bon-ny I-rish lass E C#m F#m B7 Come o-ver the hills to your dar - ling A G#m F#m A You choose the road love____ And I will make the vow E A - G#m B7 E And I'll be your true love for - e - ver E C#m F#m A Chorus: Red is the rose____ That in yon-der garden grows E C#m F#m B7 Fair is the li-ly of the val-ley A G#m F#m A Clear is the wa-ter that flows from the Boyne E A - G#m B7 E | B7 | But my love is fair - er than a - ny E C#m F#m A 2. 'Twas down by Kil-lar-ney's green woods that we strayed E C#m F#m B7 When the moon and the stars they were shin – ing A G#m F#m A The moon shone its rays on her locks of gold-en hair E A - G#m B7 E And she swore she'd be my love for - e - ver E C#m F#m A Chorus: Red is the rose____ That in yon-der garden grows E C#m F#m B7 Fair is the li-ly of the val - ley A G#m F#m A Clear is the wa-ter that flows from the Boyne E A - G#m B7 E But my love is fair – er than a - ny Instr: | E | A - G#m | B7 | E | B7 | E C#m F#m A 3. It's not for the part-ing of my sis-ter Kate E C#m F#m B7 It's not for the grief of my mo - ther A G#m F#m A It’s all for the loss of my bon-ny I-rish lass E A - G#m B7 E That my heart is break - ing for - e - ver E C#m F#m A Chorus: Red is the rose____ That in yon-der garden grows E C#m F#m B7 Fair is the li - ly of the val - ley A G#m F#m A Clear is the wa-ter that flows from the Boyne E A - G#m B7 E But my love is fair - er than a - ny E A - G#m B7 E... Yes my love is fair - er than a - ny
Numbered Circles: Chord fingering - number inside circle indicates which finger to use
Unmarked strings: Play open
X: Don't play string
Barre Line: One finger holds down multiple strings
R: Root Note
Right Handed Charts:
Left Handed Charts:
- Level Of Ease: Fairy Easy. There a few barre chords, but they are all easy to play.
- Song Key: This version of the song is in the key of E Major - 4 sharps (F#, C#, G#, D#)
- 4/4 time: 4 quarter-note/crotchet beats per bar, therefore the count is:
| ♩ ♩ ♩ ♩ | = |1 2 3 4 | or | 1& 2& 3& | etc.
- Tempo: 100 bpm with the metronome or click track sounding on every quarter-note/crotchet beat
- The standard chord progression for E Major is E - F#m - G#m - A - B - C#m - D#º. Notice that all the chords in the song are from the standard chord progression including chord extensions, i.e., B7
- I have kept the chord changes as simple as possible. If you listen to the guitarist, you will notice he plays a few interesting chords which blend in very well, e.g., at the end of the second line, 1st verse, he plays a B6 chord (22110x or x24444 or 224444) as opposed to a B7 chord - help with understanding written chords.
He also plays the occasional C#m7 (446454 or x46454) instead of C#m... the choice is yours.
- When the guitarist plays an E chord, he sometimes adds an F# (EaddF#) to add color to the chord - 022102, or a G# (EaddG#) - an octave above the existing G# - 022104.
- When you see a chord separated by a hyphen, e.g., | A - G#m | play the A chord for 2 beats and G#m for 2 beats... the hyphen splits the beat count of the bar evenly between the 2 chords. All other chords have a 4 beat count.
Born: Daniel Francis Noel O'Donnell on the 12th December, 1961 in Kincasslagh, County Donegal, Ireland
Active Years: 1980 – present
Music Styles: Country, easy listening
Associations: Majella O'Donnell, Margo, Mary Duff
Red Is The Rose Sheet Music at MusicaNeo.Com - Piano/Vocal/Chords - 5 pages - D Major