Hey Jude chords & lyrics
by The Beatles
- Hey Jude was written by Paul McCartney - credited to Lennon/McCartney.
- Recorded: Trident Studios, London between July 31st and August 2nd, 1968.
- Released: Aug 26th, 1968.
- Album: The Beatles - 1
- Music: F Major in 4/4 time at ~ 78 bpm (♩)
- Chords: F, F7, C, C7, B♭, Dm, Gm7, E♭
Hey Jude by The Beatles
Time Signature: 4/4 F C 1. Hey Jude___ Don't make it bad C7 F Take a sad song and make it bet-ter Bb F Re-mem-ber___ To let her in-to your heart C7 F Then you can start to make it bet-ter F C 2. Hey Jude___ Don't be a-fraid C7 F You were made to go out and get her Bb F The min-ute you let her un-der your skin C7 F Then you be-gin to make it bet-ter F7 Bb Dm Gm7 Bridge: And any-time you feel the pain___ Hey Jude___ Re-frain C7 F Don't car-ry the world u-pon your should-ers F7 Bb Dm Gm7 For well you know that it's a fool who plays it cool C7 F By mak-ing his world a lit-tle cold-er F7 C C7 Na na na___ Na na___ Na na___ Na | na... |2/4| (Hey) |4/4| F C 3. Hey Jude___ Don't let me down C7 F You have found her now go and get her Bb F Re-mem-ber to let her in-to your heart C7 F Then you can start to make it bet-ter F7 Bb Dm Gm7 Bridge: So let it out and let it in___ Hey Jude___ Be-gin C7 F You’re wait-ing for some-one to per-form with F7 Bb Dm Gm7 And don't you know that it's just you___ Hey Jude___ You'll do C7 F The move-ment you need is on your should-er F7 C C7 Na na na___ Na na___ Na na___ Na | na... |2/4| (Hey) |4/4| F C 4. Hey Jude___ Don't make it bad C7 F Take a sad song and make it bet-ter Bb F Re-mem-ber___ To let her un-der your skin C7 F Then you be-gin to make it bet-ter bet-ter bet-ter bet-ter bet-ter bet-ter oh F Eb Bb F Outro: Na na na___ Na na na na___ Na na na na___ Hey Jude ...repeat to fade
Numbered Circles: Chord fingering - number inside circle indicates which finger to use
Unmarked strings: Play open
X: Don't play string
Barre Line: One finger holds down multiple strings
R: Root Note
Right Handed Charts:
Left Handed Charts:
- Level Of Ease: Moderate - need to know some barre chords, e.g., B♭, E♭, and Gm7.
- Song Key: F Major (1 Flat - B♭)
- Notice the timing changes at the end of each Bridge. The C7 on the last 'Na' holds for a bar and a half (6 beats). This is written as a 2/4 bar followed by a 4/4 bar... the original time signature (6 beats in all).
- There are several ways of playing these chords. I have charted the more commonly used forms of each chord.
The easiest way to play F7 is 131211- perhaps a better sounding F7 is 131241... although a little harder to play, it is well worth the effort. The same applies to Gm7... 353363.
- The Outro is repeated again and again which seems like an eternity, but stick with it as it's a great exercise in practicing fairly difficult chord changes - by the end of the song you'll be an expert!