Dream A Little Dream of Me chords and lyrics
by The Mamas & The Papas
- Dream A Little Dream of Me was composed by Fabian Andre and Wilbur Schwandt, with lyrics by Gus Kahn. The song was first recorded in 1931 by Ozzie Nelson and His Orchestra.
- The Mamas & The Papas released a version in June, 1968 from the album - The Papas & The Mamas.
- Music: C Major in 4/4 time at ~ 124 bpm
- Chords: C, D, E7, F, Fm, F#m, G7, G#7, A, A7, B7
- Bass Notes /C - /B - /A: Played as single notes if you are finger-picking. Simply play the C chord and then the 3rd finger on string 5 (3rd fret) plays the C bass note - slide 3rd finger down 1 fret and play the B bass note - then take the finger off the string (open) and play the A bass note. If you are strumming chords, you can omit these.
Dream A Little Dream of Me by The Mamas & The Papas
Intro: 4/4 || G7 | C – B7 | G#7 – G7 | C - B7 | G#7 – G7 || C B7 G#7 G7 1. Stars shin-ing bright a-bove you C /C /B /A A Night breez-es seem to whis-per, I love you F Fm Birds sing-in' in the sy-ca-more tree C G#7 G7 Dream a lit-tle dream of me C B7 G#7 G7 2. Say nighty-night and kiss me C /C /B /A A Just hold me tight and tell me you'll miss me F Fm While I'm a-lone and blue as can be C G#7 G7 C – E7 Dream a lit-tle dream of me A F#m D E7 A F#m D - E7 Chorus: Stars fad-ing but I lin-ger on dear__ Still crav-ing your kiss A F#m D E7 A F#m G#7 G7 I'm long-in' to lin-ger till dawn dear__ Just say-ing thi - is C B7 G#7 G7 3. Sweet dreams till sun-beams find you C /C /B /A A7 Sweet dreams that leave all wor-ries be-hind you F Fm But in your dreams what-ev-er they be C G#7 G7 C – E7 Dream a lit-tle dream of me Instr: || C – B7 | G#7 – G7 | C /C /B /A | A7 | F | Fm | C / G#7 G7 | C – E7 || A F#m D E7 A F#m D - E7 Chorus: Stars fad-ing but I lin-ger on dear__ Still crav-ing your kiss A F#m D E7 A F#m G#7 G7 I'm long-in' to lin-ger till dawn dear__ Just say-ing thi – is C B7 G#7 G7 4. Sweet dreams till sun-beams find you C /B /A A7 Sweet dreams that leave all wor-ries far be-hind you F Fm But in your dreams what-ev-er they be C G#7 G7 (C) Dream a lit-tle dream of me B7 G#7 G7 Da da da dum da da dum C B7 G#7 G7 Da da da__ Da da da da dum C B7 G#7 G7 Pa da da__ da da da da__ Da da da__ Da da da dum | C - B7 | G#7 – G7 | (Whistle)... repeat to fade
Numbered Circles: Chord fingering - number inside circle indicates which finger to use
White Numbered Circles: Optional Notes
Unmarked strings: Play open
X: Don't play string
Barre Line: One finger holds down multiple strings
R: Root Note
Right Handed Charts:
Left Handed Charts:
The Mamas & The Papas
Origin: Los Angeles, California, U.S.
Music Styles: Folk rock, psychedelic pop, sunshine pop
Active Years: 1965–1968
Original Band Line-up:
- John Phillips - songwriter, musician and group leader (1935-2001)
- Denny Dohery - singer, songwriter, musician, actor (1940-2007)
- Cass Elliot (Mama Cass) - singer, actress (1941 - 1974)
- Michelle Phillips - singer, songwriter, actress
Covers since 1957
- 50's: Bing Crosby (1957), Ella Mae Morse (1957), Doris Day (1958), Dean Martin (1959)
- 60's: Frankie Laine (1963), Louis Armstrong (1968), The Mamas & The Papas (1968), Henry Mancini (1969)
- 90's: Dinah Shore (1990), Ella Fitzgerald (1993), Gerry Mulligan (1994),Terry Hall & Salad (1995), Beautiful South (1995), Nat King Cole (1999)
- 2000-2010: Al Martino (2001), Tony Bennett & K.D. Lang (2002), Anne Murray (2004), Diana Krall (2007), Gina Jeffreys (2010), Michael Bublé (2010)
- 2011-present: Eddie Vedder (2011), Emilia Mitiku (2013), Barry Manilow (2014), Vov Dylan(2016)