- Degree of Difficulty: Moderate. There are a few barre chords, but they are all fairly easy to play.
- Key Signature: The song starts in the key of D Major...(2 sharps - F# C#).
There are 2 key changes: one going into the bridge; F Major (1 flat - Bb), and the other going into the final chorus; E Major (4 sharps - F# C# G# D#).
- Standard chord progression for D Major: D - Em - F#m - G - A - Bm - C#dim
Standard chord progression for E Major: E - F#m - G#m - A - B - C#m - D#dim
We have added the standard chord progressions for the given key so you can see how the chords are used in the song.
There are also other usable chords used here which add interest, e.g., F#... the relative minor of D Major is Bm which both share the note F#, making F# a usable chord... sounds great here.
- There is some interesting timing in each chorus between the 2nd and 3rd lines. Where Adele sings "The reason you loved me", the D chord is played on the "me", which would normally come in at the start of the bar, but comes in on the & of the 4& of the previous bar. This means the following bar has to hold an extra quaver beat before changing to the F#m (-e) of "me-e before" at the end of the 3rd line of the chorus.
This may sound a little confusing, but if you listen and count the beats during the chorus leading up to and during the event, you will know what I mean. This is a form of off-beat syncopation where the note is played slightly before the beat. The effect is dramatic and works well in this song.
- In the Intro, you can just play a D chord, however it sounds better with the subtleties of the Dsus4 and Dsus2 chords.
- I have included some variations to certain chords just in case you find some of them a little difficult to play.
- This live version of Adele-Dont You Remember starts in the key of D. The record version starts in the key of Eb which some of you may find a little difficult to play. If you prefer the record version and don't want to play in Eb, simply put a Capo on the first fret and play in the key of D.
- Hope you enjoy the song. From a musicians point of view, it has everything
Free Download: Adele Dont You Remember chords and lyrics